Limerick Diocese Home Page Heritage Project Home Page Index of Parishes Search Help

Introduction to Bulgaden-Martinstown   Bulgaden-Martinstown   Churches


The parish is called Bulgaden/Martinstown but in old editions of the Catholic Directory the parish was known as Bulgaden and Ballinvana. Today the parish is made up of parts of the old parishes of Ballinvana (which was also called Athaneasy) and Kilmallock. Ballinvana has also been called Kilbreedy Major and Fantstown over the years in various sources.

Across the road from Martinstown church, there is a cross to Patrick Staker Wallis, a small farmer and member of the United Irishmen who was killed in 1798 for resisting the power of the landlord.

Heritage Project Home | Bulgaden-Martinstown Parish Home | Back to Top

Introduction to Bulgaden-Martinstown      Churches