Limerick Diocese Home Page Heritage Project Home Page Index of Parishes Search Help

History   Bulgaden-Martinstown   Martinstown Church

Bulgaden Church | Martinstown Church | Church Ruins

Bulgaden Church

Back of Bulgaden Church (roadside view)    Front of Bulgaden Church
© Bulgaden Church
Altar in Bulgaden Church
© Altar in Bulgaden Church

There are two churches in use in the parish today. Bulgaden church was built around 1860 and is dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. This church is unusual in that the back of the church is facing onto the road. Fr McNamara explained to us that this is because in the last century the old road passed by the front of the church. The new road runs by the back of the church. The large stained glass window behind the altar is dedicated to the memory of Fr O'Clery.

Stained Glass Window on the left of Bulgaden Church  Stained Glass Window on the right of Bulgaden Church
© Stained Glass Windows in Bulgaden Church


Plaque to Bishop D. J. Hennessy
© Plaque to Fr Marcus O'Clery P.P,

On the right of the church there is a plaque to the memory of Fr Marcus O'Clery P.P.

At the back of the church there is a cross that commemorates a mission given by the Oblate Fathers in May 1883.

Buried within the church are:

  Marcus O'Clery P.P. Bulgaden & Ballinvana, Died 8 Dec. 1886, aged 74
  James Walsh P.P. for 39 years, Died Dec 24 1858, aged 77

Buried in the grounds of the church are:

  James Lyons, P.P. 1958-1966, Died December 16 1966
  Canon O'Connell, Leeds, Died October 13 1961
  Patrick J. Coleman, P.P. 1949-1958, Died January 12 1958
  Patrick V. Higgins, P.P. 1936, Died December 10 1936, aged 59
  Canon George Culhane, P.P. 1923-1934, Died March 24 1934
  Canon Michael Leahy, Died April 9 1949
  Canon George Quain, P.P. 1906-1923, Died April 21 1923, aged 76
  Maurice Fitzpatrick, P.P. 1938-1940, Died May 13 1940, aged 51
  Jacob McCoy, P.P. 1886-1906, Headstone is in Latin
  Rev. Matthew Lynch, Uxbridge, Middlesex, A native of Stephenstown, Died September 4 1944

Bulgaden Church | Martinstown Church | Church Ruins

Heritage Project Home | Bulgaden-Martinstown Parish Home | Back to Top

History      Martinstown Church