Diocese Home Page Heritage Project Home Index Search Help

   Diocese of Limerick   History
John Young

John Young (1746-1813)

Born in John Street, Limerick in March 1746 into a merchant class family. Educated in Limerick and at the Pastoral College of the Irish, Louvain, where he received an M.A. degree and a Ph.D.

Ordained in Louvain on September 23rd 1769, he worked in Limerick city until he was appointed PP in Bruff in 1782. Nine years later he went as PP St Mary's and became Dean of the Cathedral Chapter. On January 3rd 1793, he was appointed coadjutor to the Bishop of Limerick becoming bishop in 1796.

One of his priorities as bishop was to open St Munchin's College, Palmerstown in November 1796. He was deeply involved in local politics at the end of the eighteenth century and was well known on the national stage.
He died on September 22nd 1813, at Park House, Corbally and is buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, off the Tipperary Road.

by Monsignor John Fleming

Heritage Project Home | Back to Top

   Lúnasa Design   History