Limerick Diocese Home Page Heritage Project Home Page Index of Parishes Search Help

History   Ardpatrick   Church Ruins

Ardpatrick Church | Church Ruins

Ardpatrick church

Ardpatrick Church
© Ardpatrick Church

The present church in Ardpatrick was built in 1835. It is located in the village, on the eastern slope of the hill of Ardpatrick. The Trench family of Castle Oliver gave the site. Fr James Carroll P.P renovated the church in 1928/29.

Altar in Ardpatrick Church
© Altar in Ardpatrick Church

Inside the church there are two pictures by Jack Hanley hung on the walls. These pictures, one of St Patrick, the other of the baptism of Our Lord, were painted especially for the church.

Jack Hanley's painting of St Patrick  Jack Hanley's 'The Baptism of Our Lord'
© St Patrick and The Baptism of Our Lord

The bell in the church grounds dates from 1856, and was donated by J. Murphy of Dublin. Also in the church grounds stands a statue of St Patrick, the patron saint of the parish.

Statue of St Patrick
© Statue of St Patrick

Buried within the church is:

  V. Rev. Fr John Kelly, Pastor 1890-1891

Buried in the church grounds are:

  James Flynn, P.P. Motherwell Diocese, Died April 11th, 1985, Aged 49.
  Patrick O'Brien (native of the parish), Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Durbanville, South Africa, Died 6th July 1981, Aged 73.
  Mortimar McCoy, Ardpatrick, P.P., 1919-1927, Died Sept 30th 1927, Aged 76.

Ardpatrick Church | Church Ruins

Heritage Project Home | Ardpatrick Home | Back to Top

History      Church Ruins