John Ryan (1784 – 1864)
John Ryan was born in Twomileborris, Co. Tipperary in November 1784. He studied at St Patrick's College, Maynooth, where he was ordained in June 1810.
His time in his native diocese is somewhat uncertain due
to the many men in that diocese with the Ryan surname. It is generally
accepted that he was PP Doon before his appointment as PP Mullinahone
from which he was nominated coadjutor Bishop of Limerick in 1825. He was
consecrated in St John's Chapel, Limerick, on December 11th 1825 and became
Bishop of Limerick on March 17th 1828, with the death of Bishop Tuohy.
He was bishop for thirty-six years, during which he built St John's Cathedral
and many other churches in the diocese. He died in 1864 and in buried
in front of the main altar of the Cathedral.
by Monsignor John Fleming