Henry Murphy (1912-1973)
Born at Ardpatrick Co. Limerick, he was educated at St Munchin's College and St Patrick's College, Maynooth. Ordained in June 1936, he joined the staff of St Munchin's College after he had completed his post-graduate studies.
For twenty years he taught at the college, before his appointment
as Bishop in 1958. His episcopate focused on two major works in the Diocese,
the building of the new St Munchin's College, and the creation of Limerick
Social Service Centre. For many years he was Secretary of the Irish Episcopal
Conference and attended all the sessions of the Second Vatican Council.
by Monsignor John Fleming