George Butler (1815-1886)
Born in Limerick on February 13th 1815, he was educated at St Munchin's College, and ordained a priest from St Patrick's College, Maynooth on November 26th 1838.
His first appointment was as a missionary in Trinidad, West Indies, where he spent two years before returning to Limerick to become CC St Patrick's. Appointments to St John's, St Michael's followed and he became appointed coadjutor Bishop of Limerick and consecrated on July 25th during the first public ceremony to be held in the new Cathedral. He became Apostolic Administrator of Limerick in 1863 and Bishop on the death of Dr Ryan on June 4th 1864.
His time as Bishop saw the discovery of the Ardagh Chalice,
the loan of the Black Book of Limerick to Maynooth, the building of the
Tower of St John's Cathedral and the erection of many churches and schools
in the Diocese.
by Monsignor John Fleming