Charles Tuohy (1754-1828)
Charles Tuohy was born in Nicholas Street, Limerick in 1754. He studied at the Irish College in Bordeaux and later at the Irish Colleges in Toulouse and Paris. Ordained in Paris in 1780, he continued his studies, receiving a Doctorate in Divinity in 1784. He returned to Limerick that year and was appointed a curate in St John's Parish. In 1796, Bishop Young appointed him to Newcastlewest. After ten years he was appointed PP Rathkeale, and subsequently went to St Michael's in 1812, when he was also nominated Dean of the Chapter. In 1813, on the death of Bishop Young, he was appointed Bishop of Limerick.
He was a tireless worked in Limerick, and also on the national political and ecclesiastical scene. He died in Newtown Villa, his residence on Sexton Street, on St Patrick's Day 1828 and is buried in the same tomb as his predecessor Bishop Young.
by Monsignor John Fleming