Though possessing only a slender income and living in poor
and distressed times, Bishop Arthur enriched the cathedral with many precious
gifts, some of which still remain as memorials of his generosity and munificence.
In 1624, he gave two plated cruets for wine and water, engraved and partly
gilt, but unfortunately they cannot now be traced. In 1625 he gave, with
the assistance of some friends, a large plate-gilt crucifix, hollow on
the inside and intended for a reliquary. This crucifix, which was nicely
engraved, stood on a pedestal, or degrees of plate, set with stones, and
contained a large piece of the Holy Cross. It was designed to be carried
before the bishop on certain ceremonial occasions. It has been handed
down as an episcopal heirloom.
In 1627 he gave a large plate-gilt chalice and enamelled paten, and a
plate pax, nicely enamelled, the enamelled work representing the crucifixion
and the soldier piercing Christ's side with a lance. In 1634 he gave a
gilt plate remonstrance for the Blessed Sacrament, supported by four pillars
and over it a crown. He died, full of years, on the 23rd of May, 1646,
and was buried in St. Mary's cathedral.