Adare parish in situated partly in the barony of Kenry, partly in the Eastern Division of Upper Connello but chiefly in the barony of Coshma. The village of Adare attracts thousands of tourists each year, with its beautiful thatched cottages and its numerous historical sites. The ancient town of Adare was situated on the eastern bank of the river Maigue, near the castle and the ancient parish church, which are now within the grounds of the Adare Manor Golf Club.
The name Adare comes from the Irish Áth Dara meaning the 'ford of the oaks'. The parish of Adare is made up of the old parishes of Adare, Drehidtrasna and Clonshire. Also, the older parishes of Kilgobbin and Castle Robert were merged with Adare.
Members of the Kildare family founded Adare's three monasteries. The Trinitarian abbey was founded about the year 1230 for the Trinitarian Canons of the Redemption of Captives, and was the only house of the Order in Ireland.
The Augustinian Friary was founded in 1315 by Thomas, Earl of Kildare, and his Countess Joan, who was buried within the friary itself. It was restored in 1807 by the Earl of Dunraven and has since been used as a Church of Ireland church. The friary of St Augustine was inhabited by the Order of the Eremites. The friary, which was situated on the west bridge of Adare, was called the Black Abbey due to the black habit of the monks.
A Franciscan friary was founded here, the remains of which are situated in the demesne of Adare Manor, on the bank of the river Maigue. These remains are very extensive. They include a nave, choir, the south transept of the church, cloisters, etc. This Franciscan Friary, founded in 1464, was attacked and burned in 1647.
At this time, Limerick County had suffered greatly from raids by the parliamentary troops. Having entered Limerick, the troops proceeded as far as Adare, where they burned the Franciscan convent. Locals believe that four of the friars were consumed in the flames, and that three who escaped were later taken prisoners.
John Wesley preached to the people of Adare in 1765 from the shade of an ash tree close to the east wall of the Franciscan friary. This tree was still there until about 1860. Today a stone marks the site where this tree stood. The Methodists hold a ceremony here in June each year.
The contribution of the Kildare Geraldines to the development of Adare in medieval times was matched by the contribution of the Earls of Dunraven in the 19th century. The building of Adare manor, designed in Tudor Gothic style, began in 1831. The modern village was largely an early 19th century creation of the Dunravens.
History of the Trinitarian Abbey
According to Westropp the alleged date of construction of the Trinitarian abbey was 1230. However, Spellissy/O'Brien believe that the abbey may have been in existence as early as 1226. The monastery flourished until the dissolution, when, with the other religious houses subsequently founded here, it was granted by Elizabeth I to Sir Henry Wallop.
It was restored in the 19th century, in 1811 and 1852.
The Trinitarian Order was founded on the continent in the late 12th century (the date is given as 1195 or 1198) during the pontificate of Pope Innocent III. The order was founded by St John de Matha and Felix ale Valois, the latter being a grandson of the King of France. The main function of the Order aside from its religious purposes was the ransoming and liberation of Christian captives during the wars of the Crusades.
This monastery was commonly called the White Monastery. The habit of the order was white with two shoulder crosses, one red and the other blue. After its suppression at the time of the Reformation it gradually fell into ruin. The remains of the monastery consist of tower, nave, and part of the choir of the church. In 1811, the Earl of Dunraven converted these remains into the present day Catholic parish church.
The original foundation consisted of a nave and chancel with a north and perhaps south transept, the ambulatory of cloisters, conventual buildings and columbarium. The massive battlement tower was a later edition in the 15th century. It gives the impression of having been built for defence rather than for a religious purpose.
The dimensions of the tower are 34' from north to south 31' east to west, and 67' high. The roof of the restored building is higher than the original roof of the abbey. There is a door in the north west pier about 12' above floor level. Inside the door a winding stone stairs leads to the belfry and the top of the tower.
At the restoration in the 19th century care was taken to preserve the two piscinas, one in the nave, the other in the chancel of the original church. In them the sacred vessels were purified after the celebration of Mass and distribution of Holy Communion.
To the back of the Trinitarian abbey is a dovecote, or columbarium.
It is a circular building in which doves and pigeons were housed. There are
no windows in the structure but there is an opening in the roof through which
the birds could come or go as they please. The internal walls are lined niches
where the doves rested and where their food was provided. A door at ground
level was the entrance for the monks.
Inside the Trinitarian Abbey
The baptistery is located at the back of the church on the
right hand side. The baptistery railings were donated in memory of Mr John
Walsh in memory of his wife. A picture beside the altar depicts religious
Miss Sarah Clifford of Thomastown, Effin donated the seats in the side aisle, in memory of her brother William Clifford, a doctor in Adare for 38 years, who died on May 31st 1923. According to local historian, Noel Hogan, Dr Clifford lived in a two storey thatched cottage in Adare village. Dr Clifford's son Michael died on 30th June 1922, aged 6 and a half. As a mark of appreciation and respect for Dr Clifford's long service to the community of Adare, his son was buried in the grounds to the front of the Trinitarian Abbey. Dr Clifford, himself, was buried beside his son on his death eleven months later. Also buried here are Helen Clifford of Crean House Bruff, who died April 30th 1980, age 59, and her husband William, who died August 16th 1989, age 70.
The stained glass windows on the right hand side of the church depict the Adoration of Mary, the Prodigal Son with an angel, Duras and the rich man. They also show scenes from Jesus' life, including his Baptism, Mary of Magdalene, receiving the sacrament of penance, clearing the temple, and the raising of Lazarus from the dead. There are also statues of the St Joseph and the Immaculate Conception. There are also stained glass windows depicting the Apostles asleep in the garden, and Christ the King of the World. A stained glass window depicting the birth of Jesus was donated in memory of John Downey who died November 9th 1857, aged 72.
Statues depicting the Sacred Heart and the Pieta are on either side of the altar on the right hand side of the church. There is also a plaque to Edwin, the third Earl of Dunraven, who restored the church and contributed to local education. The east window is to his memory, and depicts the Three Wise Men and the Infant Jesus.
In the east window of the present church, there is a panel depicting a captive holding broken chains in his hands, and nearby a cleric offering a pouch of gold - the ransom money, a clear symbol of their office. This symbolises the link between the church and its founders the Trinitarians, who were set up to free the Christian captives during the Crusades.
There is a statue of St Theresa to the left of the altar at the top of the church, directly under the main stained glass window. There is a statue of an angel on either side of this altar. There is also a statue to St Joseph, and a shrine to the Immaculate Conception. The main stained glass window bears an inscription that reads "Going therefore teach ye all nations baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. He commanded us to preach to the people 'he that believeth and is baptised shall be saved'." The window depicts Jesus sending out the eleven apostles. The Dunraven Family Crest is also depicted on the window.
On the south wall, the window of the Coronation of Our Lady was designed and executed by the Irish Stained Glass Co., Hanover Quay, Dublin and was installed for the feast of the Immaculate Conception on the 5th December, 1980. In the main body of the church, there is a plaque to Edwin, the third Earl of Dunraven, who died on the 6th of October 1871.
A modern bronze sculpture in the church, titled 'The Way', is dedicated to the Holy Trinity Church. It was designed by John Blakeley, and depicts the hill in Jerusalem. The centrepiece of the sculpture is a piece of marble from Jerusalem, that is 5 million years old.
According to Fr Moriarty, there is a local tradition that, prior to its restoration for Catholic worship by the first Earl of Dunraven in 1811, there was a movement afoot to continue the ruined monastery as a market house. One day as the Earl was passing by he stopped for a few minutes gazing at the ruins. As he moved away he was heard to remark "I never will allow it to be a den of thieves." He proceeded to restore the ruins as a parish church.
In a window in the south wall of the church there is a panel depicting Our Lord driving the sellers out of the temple and underneath are the words from St Luke's gospel Ch. 19. V. 46. "My house is a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of thieves."
The Stations of the Cross were received from Meyers of Munich by the then Parish Priest, Very. Rev. John Stanislaus Flanagan in 1884.
Of the sacred vessels used in the church the most valuable is the "Thaddaeus Quin" Chalice. The inscription reads "Ex dono Thaidi Quin Armigeri de Adare in perpetuum usum Parochial Sancti Nicholai de Adare anno dni 1726." The chalice has an everted rim and a calyx elaborately chased with renaissance ornament.
The church was repaired and enlarged in 1852 by Edwin Richard the 3rd Earl of Dunraven famous antiquarian and historian, who was a Catholic. He had the nave lengthened by 12 feet, the porch erected, and the Lady Chapel built, at the east end. This enlargement was carried out under the direction of Mr Hardwick, the celebrated English architect.
One of the features of this enlargement is a bronze screen designed by Pugin, which separates the Lady Chapel from the Sanctuary. It was the gift of Windham, Thomas 4th Earl of Dunraven in 1884.
According to a plaque on the right hand side of the church, George Alfred and his team of workers restored the Holy Trinity abbey from July 1977 to December 1980 by the generosity of parishioners. By 1978, most of the stone had been revealed and in the main was in excellent condition. In sections the original brick was removed and replaced with similar stone. One particularly poor section was at the window near the entrance, where the present shrine to Our Blessed Lady is. The back wall of this section had to be replaced to allow the erection of the shrine.
During the restoration work, on Sunday June 10th, 1979, the first ordinations in 450 years took place in the church, a unique and historic occasion for the people of Adare, emphasised by the fact that one of the priests ordained was from the parish, Fr Joseph Shire, of Drehidtrasna.
Buried within the church are:
Canon Robert Donworth
Died 23rd February 1963
Canon Patrick J. Thornhill
Died 15th July 1948
Dean JS Flanagan
Died October 16th 1905
Thomas Standish O'Grady
PP for over 30 years
Died March 14th 1867
John Canon Griffin
Died October 26th 1926
Buried in the grounds of the church is:
V. Rev. Martin Canon O'Grady
Parish Priest Adare
Died 3rd February 1976
John, Earl of Kildare, founded the monastery in 1315. For nearly two hundred years, the Friary carried out its quiet and religious existence until it was suppressed in the mid-sixteenth century. By the end of the century the Augustinians had moved to Limerick City.
This Friary was also known as the "Black Abbey"
because the Augustinian friars wore a black habit. The cloisters are in very
good condition. Part of the domestic buildings is now in use as a school.
The Augustinian Friary was restored for Church of Ireland worship in 1807. A large monument within the Church is dedicated to John Bury, who died on September 14th 1722, aged 56. Within the church there are many monuments to the Dunraven family.
The church consists of a nave, with a south side aisle, the chancel and a lofty, square central tower. The tower and some of the domestic buildings date from the fifteenth century.
In the north wall of the chancel there is an interesting "infirmary squint", which enabled sick members of the community to glimpse the high altar from their sick room. The cloisters were entered from the church by a door in the tower, now blocked up. The semi-circular headed doorway in the north wall of the chancel leads to a vestry, a recent addition.
In 1814 part of the domestic buildings was roofed over and
converted into a school. In 1826 the Quin family mausoleum was erected in
the cloisters. It carries the Kildare and Desmond coats of arms alternately
displayed on several carved shields. Caroline, the dowager Countess of Dunraven,
who was responsible for installing most of the stained glass in the windows,
renovated the church in 1852.
The Franciscan Friary ruins are located in the grounds of Adare Manor Golf Club. The House of St Francis, of the order of the Minors of the Stricter Observance was situated outside the walls of the town. Thomas, Earl of Kildare, and his wife founded the Friary in Adare in 1464.
The friary is in very good condition, with the ruin largely intact. The remains include a tower, nave and part of the choir of the church. The cloisters on the northside are in excellent condition. The living quarters are still visible and the cloisters are well preserved. Mass is held once a year in the Friary on Easter morning.
It was also called the Poor Monastery because the Franciscans were an order of mendicant friars. This meant that the friars were dependent on people to give them alms. The friary was dedicated in 1464, and consecrated in 1466. It was suppressed in 1539 but by 1573, the friars had returned to the priory. They were expelled again in 1581 during the Desmond Rebellion, although the monastery was re-established for a time in 1633.
A precious relic of this convent, in the shape of a silver
chalice, is still preserved in the parochial church of Kilbehenny, diocese
of Emly. The inscription, which is in Latin, informs us that Honora McCormochn,
a member of the 3rd Order of St Francis presented it to the convent of Adare
in 1630. Reymond de Burgh, Bishop of Emly was buried in the abbey in 1562.
St Nicholas' Church was the Church of Ireland parish church in Adare until 1806. This church is located in St Nicholas' graveyard beside the Adare golf club grounds, and to the north of the castle. The parish church of St Nicholas of Myra was named in honour of a fourth century Archbishop in Asia Minor who is regarded as the patron saint of children. Santa Claus is a corruption of his name. It was built and then rebuilt between the 13th and 16th centuries.
There is a second ruined church located in this graveyard. This was a Chapel of Ease dating from the 15th century. According to Lenihan, "An ancient chapel stands at a little distance from the castle in this chapel several members of the Quin family (family name of Dunraven Earls) were buried." It also contained chaplains' quarters located near its eastern end.
The church ruin in Clonshire graveyard is small but largely
intact. The graveyard surrounding the ruin is still in use. Clonshire takes
its name from Cluain Siar, which means "the western meadow".
Clonshire church was sometimes called Teampaill na Cille, which means
"the church of the burial ground". Lewis mentioned the 'shafts of
two very ancient crosses' that were visible in the churchyard in 1837, however,
we did not see any sign of these crosses on our visit.
Trinity church is located north-east of Dunaman Tower house in the townland of Donoman. This ruined church was also called 'Teampaill na Trionoide'. Westropp measured the nave and chancel as 43 feet by 21feet and 23 feet by 16 feet. There is an old holy water font that is still intact within the church ruin.
There is a church ruin in Drehidtrasna, located in the graveyard of the same name. The belltower and the main body of the church are partly covered in ivy, but are in good condition. There are two windows in either wall of the ruin. The surrounding graveyard is still in use. According to Westropp this Church of Ireland church was built on the old site of a medieval Church in the old parish in Drehidtrasna.
There was also a church in Kiltenan but the site is forgotten. Westropp records a church in Kilcurly near Kilcurly house. This building was roofed in 1657.
Kilgobbin church and Castle Robert church were located in
two of the ancient parishes, which today make up the parish of Adare. In 1418
Castle Robert was the chapel of Adare. The church was demolished to build
a bridge. Kilgobbin chapel was a little oratory that measured 27 ½
feet long and 19 feet wide. The exact location of both these buildings is
Back to Top
The new graveyard in Adare is located behind the present parish church, the Trinitarian Abbey. St Nicholas' cemetery was opened in 1978.
Another graveyard is located in the grounds of St Nicholas' Church, the old parish church in Adare. This graveyard is in good condition, and there is a parish committee currently involved in cleaning and maintaining the graveyard.
The oldest headstone that we found in this graveyard was in memory of Cat Dwyer, who died on the 24th of February 1744. There was also a headstone in memory of Margaret Dwyer, who died on March 29th 1739 or 1759, aged 42. The inscription on the headstone was faded so we were unable to discern which of the two dates was correct.
A wall encloses the Protestant section of this graveyard. There are also Catholics buried in this section. It is here that the modern burial place of the Earls of Dunraven can be found.
Clonshire graveyard is located in the townland of Barnakyle. An old church ruin is situated within this graveyard. The oldest headstone that we came across here was in memory of Hanna Mark\m (this abbreviated version of the name appeared on the headstone, but we believe it to be Markham) who died on April 16th 1790, aged 21.
Drehidtrasna graveyard surrounds the ruin of a Protestant church. This graveyard is located across the road from the townland of Glebe, so named because the Protestant minister resided there. The graveyard is still in use. It is fairly well kept.
A collection plate with the name 'Drehidtrasna' inscribed on it was found here, and is now on display in the Heritage Centre in Adare. The oldest headstone that we found here was in memory of Maurice Hogan, who spent 16 years as Parish Priest of Croagh/Kilfinny. He died on July 7th 1818 aged 70 years.
There is a graveyard in the grounds of the church in Dunaman. In the graveyard there is a headstone that is made from the base of a tree. However there is no inscription on this headstone. There is a tomb to members of the Sheehy family. The oldest headstone that we found was to John Toomy who died in July 1818, at the age of 88.
There is a graveyard in the townland of Tuogh, which is locally known as Creagaun. In his book "Kenry", Máirtín Ó Corrbuí mentions a graveyard called Creagán na hUla which is also known as Knockaunahall. This graveyard was only used by a limited number of families. Ó Corrbuí states that the last burial here was in 1973. Access to the graveyard is through private lands owned by the Long family.
In 1940 in a sandpit outside the wall of the graveyard, Fr
J. Culhane found a Papal Seal, which is also called a Papal Bull. The seal
had the likeness of St. Peter on one side and Pope Benedict VIII (1294-1303)
on the other side. This seal may have been intended for one of the monasteries
Back to Top
According to Danaher, there is one Holy Well in the parish. St Anne's well is in the townland of Coolbaun about a quarter of a mile from the road. Danaher says that this well is usually dry and no tradition remains of devotions at the well. Legend claims that the well moved when profaned and that St Anne appeared and reproved a woman who went to wash clothes in it. According to local tradition, there was a whitethorn tree beside the well, which had no thorns. No trace of the well remains today.
Danaher also mentions a doubtful well called Toberveenanee, which was locally called Tobar Beanuighthe. The well is in the townland of Curraghchase. This well may be in Adare parish but it may also be in the parish of Kilcornan as the townland of Curraghchase forms part of both parishes. This well no longer exists according to Noel Hogan.
A grotto to Mary has been erected on the roadside in Adare
village, outside the Trinitarian church.
Back to Top
Caroline, Countess of Dunraven erected a water fountain in Adare as a mark of gratitude to the people of the village. An inscription on the fountain reads "In grateful memory of the zeal shown by the people of this village in quenching a fire at the offices of Adare Manor on the 18th April 1844. This supply of water was brought and fountain erected by Caroline Countess of Dunraven. Lord Prosper Thou Our Handy Work 1855."
Adare was home to the Earls of Dunraven, who were the biggest landowners in the area. In 1876, they owned in excess of 14,000 acres.
The founder of the friary, Thady Quin converted from a Roman Catholic to a Protestant, while his successor Edwin, the 3rd Earl became a Catholic. The Dunravens supported both the Roman Catholic and Protestant religions over the years. They donated a chalice to the Church of Ireland in 1660 and one to the RC church in 1726. The Dunravens also proved to be generous benefactors of the church, donating land and money towards the building of and subsequent upkeep of churches and graveyards in the parish.
Other people of note from the parish of Adare were Tomas O'Gliasain
and Tomas O'Tuama, well-known 18th century Gaelic poets, together with Gerald
Griffin, poet and novelist, and Sean O'Riada, composer and musician.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Ardshanbally||Ard an tSean Bhaile||The high place of the old town|
|Ballylongford||Baile an Longfoirt||The town of the stronghold|
|Baurnalicka||Barr na lice||The high ground of the flagstone|
|Boulabally||Buaile an Bhaile||The booley of the town|
|Boherbraddagh||Bóthar Bradach||Road of thieves|
|Capparoe||An Cheapach Rua||The red tillage-plot|
|Castleroberts||Caisleán Roibaird||The castle of Riobaird|
|Clonshire||Cluain Siabhra||Meadow of the phantom|
|Cloongownagh||Cluain Gamhna||Meadow of the calves|
|Clorane||An Cloichreán||The stony place|
|Coolballyshane||Cúil Bhaile Sheáin||The corner of Baile Sheáin|
|Coolbaun||An Chúil Bhán||The white corner|
|Cummeen||An Coimín||The commonage|
|Curraghbeg||An Currach Beag||The small tract of wet land|
|Curraghbridge||Droichead na Coradh||The bridge of the weir|
|Curraghchase||An Chora||The weir|
|Deerpark||Páirc na bhFia|
|Derryvinane||Doire an Mheannáin||The oak wood of the kid goat|
|Drehidtreasna||An Droichead Tarsna||The bridge across|
|Dunnaman||Dún na mBeann||The ford of the points|
|Finniterstown||Baile an Fhinitéaraigh||The town of An Finitéarach|
|Garraunboy||An Garrán Buí||The yellow grove|
|Gortaganniff||Gort an Ghainimh||The field of the sand|
|Gortnagrour||Gort na gCreabhar||The field of the woodcocks|
|Graigue||An Ghráig||The hamlet|
|Islandea||Oiléan Uí hAodha||The island of Ó Dubháin|
|Kilcurly||Cill Choireallaigh||The church of Coireallach|
|Kilgobbin||Cill Mhác Gobáin||The church of the sons of Goban|
|Kilgrogan||Cill Ghruagáin||The church of Gruagán|
|Kilknockan||Coill an Chnocnáin||The wood of the hillock|
|Knockane||An Cnocán||The hillock|
|Knockdromin||Cnoc Dromann||Hill of the ridge|
|Kyleavarraga Middle||Coill an Mhargaidh||The wood of the market|
|Kyleavarraga South||as above|
|Park||An Pháirc||The field|
|Port||An Port||The bank|
|Rineroe||An Rinn Rua||The red headland|
|Rossmore||An Ros Mór||The big high place|
|Rowerbeg||Robhar Beag||Meaning uncertain|
|Rowermore||Robhar Mór||Meaning uncertain|
|Shanaclough||An tSeanchloch||The old stone structure|
|Tuogh||An Tuath||The territory|
|1644 -?||Philip Garon|
|1704 - c. 1745||Daniel Conry|
|c. 1745 - 1758||Joseph Egan|
|1758 - 1758||Nicholas Molony|
|1759 - c. 1793||Maurice Lee|
|? - 1806||David Lee|
|1806 - 1814||John Lee|
|1814 - 1824||Michael Flynn|
|1824 - 1827||Timothy Foley (Adm.)|
|1827 - 1833||D. Hogan|
|1833 - 1834||Michael Culhane|
|1834 - 1835||Maurice Fitzgibbon|
|1835 - 1836||T. S. O’Grady|
|1837||T. S. O’Grady||Daniel Kennedy|
|1838||T. S. O'Grady||James O'Donnell|
|1839||T. S. O'Grady||J. Shine|
|1840||T. S. O’Grady||M. Casey|
|1841||T. S. O’Grady||Richard Nunan|
|1842||T. S. O’Grady||Richard Nunan|
|1843||T. S. O’Grady||John Meehan|
|1844||T. S. O’Grady||John Meehan|
|1845||T. S. O’Grady||David Leahy|
|1846||T. S. O’Grady||Daniel Leahy|
|1847||T. S. O’Grady||Daniel Leahy|
|1848||T. S. O’Grady||James Fitzgerald|
|1849||T. S. O’Grady||James Fitzgerald|
|1850||T. S. O’Grady||James Fitzgerald|
|1851||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1852||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1853||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1854||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1855||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1856||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1857||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1858||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1859||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1860||T. S. O’Grady||Denis Cregan|
|1861||T. S. O’Grady||Marcus Cleary|
|1862||T. S. O’Grady||Marcus Cleary|
|1863||T. S. O’Grady||John Quaid|
|1864||T. S. O’Grady||John Carrick|
|1865||T. S. O’Grady||James Moran|
|1866||John S. Flanagan (Adm.)||Daniel Ryan|
|1867||John S. Flanagan (Adm.)||John Prendergast|
|1868||John S. Flanagan (Adm.)||R. Bridgeman|
|1869||John S. Flanagan||R. Bridgeman|
|1870||John S. Flanagan||Edward O’Dwyer|
|1871||John S. Flanagan||Edward O’Dwyer|
|1872||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1873||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1874||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1875||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1876||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1877||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1878||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1879||John S. Flanagan||Maurice O’Brien|
|1880||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1881||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1882||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1883||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1884||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1885||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1886||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1887||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1888||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1889||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1890||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1891||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1892||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1893||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1894||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1895||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1896||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1897||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1898||John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1899||Dean John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1900||Dean John S. Flanagan||Michael McCarthy|
|1901||Dean John S. Flanagan||John Fitzgerald|
|1902||Dean John S. Flanagan||John Fitzgerald|
|1903||Dean John S. Flanagan||John Fitzgerald|
|1904||Dean John S. Flanagan||John Fitzgerald|
|1905||Dean John S. Flanagan||John Fitzgerald|
|1906||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1907||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1908||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1909||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1910||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1911||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1912||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1913||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1914||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1915||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1916||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1917||John Griffin||John Fitzgerald|
|1918||John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1919||John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1920||John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1921||John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1922||John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1923||John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1924||Canon John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1925||Canon John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1926||Canon John Griffin||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1927||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1928||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1929||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1930||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1931||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1932||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1933||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1934||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1935||Stephen Connolly||Denis Fitzpatrick|
|1936||Stephen Connolly||James Culhane|
|1937||Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1938||Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1939||Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1940||Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1941||Canon Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1942||Canon Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1943||Canon Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1944||Canon Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1945||Canon Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1946||Canon Patrick Thornhill||James Culhane|
|1947||Canon Patrick Thornhill||John Casey D.D.|
|1948||Canon Patrick Thornhill||John Casey D.D.|
|1949||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1950||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1951||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1952||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1953||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1954||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1955||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1956||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1957||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1958||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1959||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1960||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1961||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1962||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1963||Canon Robert Donworth||John Casey D.D.|
|1964||Martin O’Grady||Timothy Culhane|
|1965||Martin O’Grady||Timothy Culhane|
|1966||Martin O’Grady||Timothy Culhane|
|1967||Canon Martin O’Grady||Timothy Culhane|
|1968||Canon Martin O’Grady||Timothy Culhane|
|1969||Canon Martin O’Grady||Timothy Culhane|
|1970||Canon Martin O’Grady||Michael Liston|
|1971||Canon Martin O’Grady||Michael Liston|
|1972||Canon Martin O’Grady||Michael Liston|
|1973||Canon Martin O’Grady||Michael Liston|
|1974||Canon Martin O’Grady||Michael Liston|
|1975||Canon Martin O’Grady||Anthony Mulvihill|
|1976||Canon Martin O'Grady||Anthony Mulvihill|
|1977||John Browne||Anthony Mulvihill|
|1978||John Browne||Dermot Healy|
|1979||John Browne||Dermot Healy|
|1980||John Browne||Dermot Healy|
|1981||John Browne||Dermot Healy|
|1982||John Browne||William O’Gorman|
|1983||John Browne||William O’Gorman|
|1984||John Browne||William O’Gorman|
|1985||John Browne||William O’Gorman|
|1986||John Browne||William O’Gorman|
|1987||John Browne||William O’Gorman|
|1988||John Browne||Maurice Kerin|
|1989||John Browne||Maurice Kerin|
|1990||John Browne||John Duggan|
|1991||Frank Moriarty||John Duggan|
|1992||Frank Moriarty||John Duggan|
|1993||Frank Moriarty||John Duggan|
|1994||Frank Moriarty||John Duggan|
|1995||Frank Moriarty||John Duggan|
|1996||Frank Moriarty||Denis Mullane|
|1997||Frank Moriarty||Denis Mullane|
|1998||Frank Moriarty||Denis Mullane|
|1999||Frank Moriarty||Denis Mullane|
|2000||Frank Moriarty||Denis Mullane|
|2001||Frank Moriarty||Sean Sweeney|
|2002||Frank Moriarty||Sean Sweeney|
|2003||Frank Moriarty||Sean Sweeney|
|2004||Frank Moriarty||Sean Sweeney|
|2005||Frank Moriarty||Sean Sweeney|
|2007||Joseph Noonan||Francis Moriarty|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design